Full article about Milheirós de Poiares
Follow 120 girls carrying IGP Fogaça loaves, then picnic on trucked Ovar sand beside the Ul River.
Hide article Read full article
The Mill, the Loaf and the River
When the Ul is in spate it thrums like an overloaded spin-cycle. At weekends the Moinho do Pego opens only from ten till noon: the granite runner still turns, but instead of tolling for household maize it performs for visitors. The drifting flour isn’t for sale—take a picture, not a bag.
Dough, bonfire and transport
On 20 January, 120 girls leave the chapel of São Sebastião at seven sharp, each balancing three kilos of risen dough on a linen cloth. They walk the old N1 down to Feira—not a parade, a delivery. Names are entered at the parish council in December; the €15 fee buys a queue position and a route map. The Fogaça loaf has been granted IGP status since 2012, yet its charter dates from 1505, the year of plague, not PR.
Mother Church keeps its doors open 9-5; entry free. The gilded altarpiece survived the 1843 fire; everything else was rebuilt in 1849 with diocesan cash and a three-per-cent levy on corn rents. The granary next door stores the farmers’ co-op tools—functional, not photogenic.
Mâmoa Riverside Beach
Trucked-in sand from Ovar, two seasonal bars, lifeguards 15 June-15 September. Parking €1 a day; loos hosed down at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. The 2.5-km boardwalk loop starts in the picnic grove, passes the mill and ends at the Pego weir. Allow 40 minutes; wear soles that grip. The interpretation panel on the 3,000 BC burial mound has been shattered since 2021—look it up before you set out.
Where to eat
O Moinho: 12-3 p.m., 7-10 p.m.; closed Tuesday. Arouquesa beef €18 kg, minimum order for two. Corn-fed pork shoulder only at lunch—gone by 2 p.m.
Adega Regional de Milheirós: nameless tasca on Rua da Igreira. Sarrabulho stew Wednesdays & Saturdays, €7 with cornbread and house wine. Arrive before noon or book: 256 554 123.
Move about
Antuã Ecotrail: fresh tarmac, zero shade, 14 km to Oliveira de Azeméis—carry water.
Corn Trail: departs Largo 9 a.m., 14 October; €5 registration includes map and return shuttle.
Spring-source walk: Sundays 8.30 a.m., meet at Mâmoa car park; free, but e-mail [email protected] to reserve—limit 25.
When the millstone stops, only the Ul slapping granite remains. There is no riverside café; take the rhythm home, or the road dust in your throat.