Full article about Borba de Montanha: Dawn Bell over Cabreira Chestnuts
Hear Borba de Montanha’s 7.30 bell echo across Celorico de Basto’s chestnut-clad Serra da Cabreira, wander rye terraces and follow the Barrosã cattle up 19
Hide article Read full article
The 7.30 Bell
At half-past seven the same bronze that Father António da Purificação cast in a Braga foundry in 1952 swings against the tower wall of Igreja Matriz. Its note ricochets down Rua do Calvário, loses itself among the chestnuts that cloak the Serra da Cabreira and tells the 1,116 souls of Borba de Montanha that another day has begun. By then Sr Albano’s wood-fired oven—alight since four—has already released its first corn loaves, and 73-year-old Elsa Vieira is moving her eighteen Barrosã cows up to the high parcel where her grandfather hacked level terraces into the granite in 1938.
Ploughlines and Pasture
The place first surfaces in 1546, in Bishop João de Castela-Branco’s parish roll: “Borba de Mon’hanha, 36 hearths, chapel of S. Thiago”. Full parish status came in 1594 when Braga’s reforming bishop, Dom Diogo de Sousa, prised it away from Veade. Since then the slopes have been read like a book of dry-farming: rye, fava, potato. The Barrosã breed—its beef granted DOP protection in 1996—still climbs the same stone staircases that parcel out the mountainside. Between 1870 and 1920 more than 800 people lived here; the population may have halved, yet the schist “mamoiras” still trace the contour lines first set by the senhor do campo and his cane level.
Gold Leaf and Cobalt
The church has stood at the crossroads since 1758, the date carved into the door-frame. Inside, the baroque high altar is the work of José de Santo António Ferreira, a Braga wood-carver paid 28,000 réis for every gilded rod. Eighteen blue-on-white panels narrate the life of St James; they arrived from Valadares in 1892, complete with the deliberate misspelling “S. Tiago Maior” in the panel showing the apostle preaching in Hispania. On 25 July the parish procession leaves the church at nine, descends the cobbled street, climbs Calvário and returns at three deliberate peals struck by sacristan Manuel Pereira with the same iron hammer his father used.
Stew, Smoke and Loureiro
The seven-hour Barrosã stew begins with 1.2 kg of shin, 200 g of streaky bacon, onion, garlic, bay and sweet paprika, simmered in the black pot a family has passed from mother to daughter since 1941. Hams and chouriços spend forty days in the lareiro, perfumed by slowly burning oak and rubbed with local bola pepper, sea salt and Vermim paprika. The honey—heather and gorse, gathered between 600 m and 800 m—was finally recognised as DOP “Terras Altas do Minho” in 2005, yet Sr Joaquim, 83, still brands his hive lids with the iron his grandfather bought from the Veade farrier for two tostões. On 15 September the communal lagar presses loureiro grapes; the 2023 vintage yielded fourteen casks at 11.5 %, poured into red-clay bowls during the parish harvest supper first organised in 1998.
Footpaths, Quarries and Herons
The Senhora do Viso footpath is only 3.8 km, but it climbs 220 m from the church gate to the hill-sanctuary at 671 m. Fonte da Pipa—dated 1897 and still carved “S. Tiag.”—provides a breather before the final rise. On the Sunday after Ascension the priest blesses the cemetery and a two-kilo crown-shaped sponge cake is broken into sixteen pieces, each representing one of the “sister parishes” that once sent children here in procession. Below the summit, the granite crater left by Marmorarias Basto (1978-2003) has become a lagoon park where grey herons and white-throated dippers mark 12 October on the calendar every year.
Kings, Ballots and Pilgrims
At 20:30 on the eve of Epiphany the Janeireiros—revived by the cultural centre since 1982—leave the parish president’s house, knock on forty-seven doors and collect €127 for the following Sunday’s bolo-rei. Borba de Montanha takes its politics seriously: turnout was 72.4 % in the 2022 general election, against 51.4 % nationally; in the 2021 local elections 813 of 1,060 registered voters cast a ballot. When 284 pilgrims set off for Viso at seven on 15 August the dust rises under the same straw hats that stare out of the council’s 1958 photograph. Three bell-strokes ring out; the echo returns to the granite slab where, in 1912, the village schoolmaster chalked: “Here the whole world is heard.”