Full article about Ribeirinha: Bread, Basalt & Blowholes
Wake to wood-fired rye, cross a 1700s pack-horse bridge and taste sea-spray meringue on São Miguel’s
Hide article Read full article
At 06:30 the village smells of crust. Thirty-eight basalt ovens exhale rye and wheat while the north wind stitches Atlantic brine through every alley. Ribeirinha—literally “little riverside”—is nicknamed “Freguesia dos Fornos”, the parish where bread still outnumbers people. Above, the stream that gives the place its name slips off Serra da Boa Vida, irrigates narrow maize and taro terraces, then expires on a black-sand beach. Altitude 170 m; population 2,510; zero traffic lights.
Parish since 1980, settled since 1500
Ribeirinha broke away from neighbouring Nossa Senhora da Estrela only four decades ago, but its stone footings are early-sixteenth-century. Sunday mass begins at 07:00 in Igreja da Consolação, a nineteenth-century parish church whose interior is dominated by a gilded baroque retable. Cross the 1700s pack-horse bridge—loose basalt blocks, no mortar—then wipe the spray off your boots: the basalt turns green-slick after rain.
Calendar
15 Sept: Procession of the patroness, Nossa Senhora da Consolação. Nearest Sunday.
Holy Week: Círio da Pedra, a candle-lit 6 km tramp of dirt and lava; bring a torch.
July: Festa do Pão Quente. Register at the parish council (€5), knead at 09:00, eat at noon.
Aug: Night-time pilgrimage to the hilltop chapel of Senhora da Paz; departs church 21:00, returns 04:00. Pack a fleece.
Plate
Caldeirada: clay-pot stew of gero, sargo and boca-negra (local reef fish) with sweet potato and yam.
Cozido de couve: salted pork rib simmered with island kale.
Suspiros da Ribeirinha: burnt-sugar meringue, sold only at Café O Forno.
Vinho de cheiro: rustic red from Isabel grapes, served in 200 ml tumblers at Taberna do Lajes.
Walk & Waves
PR05SMI: 4.2 km loop, 90 min, 420 m climb, coastal panorama.
Praia da Ribeirinha: black volcanic sand, pocket-sized car park; winter storms force seawater through lava tubes, creating short-lived blowholes.
Water-mill: open Mon–Fri 14:00-17:00, donation entry.