Full article about União das freguesias de Crato e Mártires, Flor da Rosa e Vale do Peso
From 1396 slate bridge to cork-oak hush, the Crato union hides Cistercian skulls and pine altars.
Hide article Read full article
Afternoon light strikes the whitewashed façade of Vale do Peso’s church, built in 1567 and patched after the French raided in 1811. Its tower clock stopped seventeen years ago at half-past four; only the lark and the wind moving uphill through the cork oaks of nearby Herdade da Contenda disturb the hush.
The Bridge That Isn’t Roman
The three-arched bridge outside the village was ordered by King João I in 1396, financed by taxes levied at Crato’s medieval fairs. Slate was quarried from the Serra de São Mamede; the scars are still visible on the northern slope. From June to September the Peso stream dries to a trickle, revealing what local children call “fresh-water barnacles” – in truth the caddis-fly larvae that cling to the stones like minute armour-plated mussels.
Flor da Rosa’s Stone Guest-List
Two kilometres north, the Cistercian monastery founded in 1356 by Dom Álvaro Gonçalves Pereira, father of Portugal’s national hero Nuno Álvares, now houses a pousada. When the conversion began in 1992, workmen uncovered forty-seven skulls stacked in the cloister; they rest today in Portalegre’s museum, catalogued 92/FR-01 to 92/FR-47. The church, consecrated in 1370, keeps its early-16th-century gilt carved altarpiece attributed to Martim Lourenço, the same craftsman who shaped the florid granite cross now protected as a national monument.
Pine Masquerading as Marble
Vale do Peso’s own church lost its high altar in the 1858 earthquake. The replacement, installed in 1861, is painted pine pretending to be marble, commissioned by priest José Maria da Fonseca. In the sacristy his handwritten “Razões da despesa” lists: 12,500 réis to carpenter António de Jesus Venâncio, 3,200 to Monforte-born painter Venâncio José.
Four Springs, One Running
Of the village’s four public fountains only A Bica still flows, its water a constant 18 °C – measured in 1981 with an agricultural-co-op mercury thermometer by the current parish-council president’s father. Fonte Nova was sealed in 1974 after a typhoid outbreak and now stores irrigation hose for the farmers’ co-operative; Fonte Formosa, where women scrubbed clothes until the 1960s, dried up when the power company cut a trench for overhead cables in 1987.
1787 Carved in the Door Lintel
The 1951 land registry records 623 smallholdings predating 1945. Beside A Bica, the house dated 1787 on its granite lintel passed from the Carvalho to the Carvalho-Neto families; it has stood empty since 1999, when “Neto the Baker” left for Lyon. Each December the chimney briefly smokes again – his brother returns from France for a fortnight to make chouriço with 87-year-old D. Henriquina, who still keeps her father’s iron sausage-stitching needle.
Cheese, Oil and the End of a Goat Line
Vale do Peso no longer produces its own cheese; the last serpentina goat was sold in 2003, ending the local Mestiço de Tolosa. Instead, the village buys Nisa DOP, a tangy sheep’s-milk cheese rubbed with thistle and paprika. Olives are pressed at Herdade da Contenda’s mill, operating since 1958 for seventeen growers. Arrive at 06:30 and the air is thick with crushed-leaf scent; knock on Sr Alfredo’s door and he will dip into the stainless-steel tank, naming which family grove each litre came from.
A Dolmen, a Beer-Cap and Twenty-Three Graves
The Chamiço footpath starts at kilometre 142 of the EN18, climbing 3.2 km to a Neolithic dolmen. There is no signpost – only a white-chalk “X” on a boulder, marked in 1997 by Joaquim das Oliveiras to guide German botanists. Nearby, the Azinhal necropolis – 23 graves excavated by Estácio da Veiga in 1876 – has yielded its contents to Évora museum (Box 47-A); today a shallow depression and a 1989 Super Bock bottle-cap are all that mark the spot.
Seven-Thirty Bell, Barking Dog, Holm-Oak Fire
At 19:30 the church bell tolls three times: the sacristan has climbed the tower every evening since 1983. The dog that answers lives with Dr Costa, a retired Lisbon physician who moved here in 1994. The scent drifting through lanes is holm-oak, cut on Palm Sunday in the Serra, delivered by tractor in the care of Zé Manel, who drops a bundle at every pensioner’s gate before heading home.