Full article about Beirã: Marvão’s Forgotten Customs Halt at 399 m
Where a cobalt-tiled station, half-moon railway curve and equinox pig feast outlive the last whistle
Hide article Read full article
Station Square, 399 m Above the Law
The last whistle blew thirteen years ago, yet Marvão-Beirã’s station still commands the square: terracotta half-pans tilted against the wind, ashlar-trimmed arches, and two azulejo panels by Jorge Colaço (1890) freezing the siege of Valença and the Battle of Ourique in cobalt. The brass plate “399 m” is no ornamental flourish—between 1880 and 2011 this was the customs halt where the Beira Baixa line paused. Spaniards stepped off with pungent La Serena cheese; Reguengos red crossed the other way in 500-litre barrels stamped DOP. The butcher’s across the forecourt still bears the faded legend “Antiga Alfândega” above the doorway where seals were once nailed.
Parish Lines and Lunar Curves
Beirã was hived off from Santo António das Areias on 24 July 1944 by decree 32 869, yet its name—first scribbled as Biria in the 1258 Inquisition rolls—predates most European borders. The railway’s 37 km meander from Portalegre is less contractor graft than topography: a 463 m drop that refused a straighter path. Drivers still speak of the final kilometre’s 180º sweep, nicknamed “Beirã’s half-moon”, where carriages once grazed wild rosemary on the curve.
Pig Before the Equinox
On 23 March the pig still dies before dawn. Knives flash at 06.30; blood ribbons into the pão-de-ló basin for tomorrow’s cakes. By nine the women are rendering lard; at ten the air is thick with minted liver soup; midday brings 350 paper plates of migas studded with crackling, scraped from an 80 kg copper pot set up inside the decommissioned fuel store. Tables are planks balanced on oil drums; no invitations needed.
Summer Descent
Sixteen July and Nossa Senhora do Carmo leaves her 1944 chapel in shoulder-borne procession, brass band from Santo António das Areias leading. After open-air mass the Santa Comba guild ladles out turnip broth with pork ribs, and the Portalegre co-op sells wine at €1 a glass—plastic, refilled without asking.
Cork, Stone, Silence
The parish covers 44.8 km², 62 % of it registered cork oak (Quercus suber) first mapped in 1938. Between the station and Azinheira’s holm-oak grove runs an 11 km lattice of dry-stone walls thrown up between 1870 and 1920 when cork left for the Santa Iria factory. Seasonal pools at Barretos—three, the largest just under a hectare—host purple herons, black-necked grebes and, since the 2017 São Mamede fire, a renegade family of ring-necked ducks that never flew back uphill. When the 19.10 bus drops its last passengers to Portalegre, silence levels at 28 dB: only the wind humming through the 132 kV line that quietly exports Iberian electrons to Spain.