Full article about Mozelos: the bell that counts its own time
Mozelos, Paredes de Coura sees a 78-year-old sacristan ring twice, 18th-century tiles funded by Brazilian gold and September processions fuelled by sarrabu
Hide article Read full article
The bell that rings itself
At seven o’clock sharp the bell of Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Livramento strikes—twice, because the sacristão can’t count. António, 78, once a steel-fixer in Lyon, climbs the tower whatever the weather; the priest has been on retreat for a fortnight. From 350 m up the valley stitches itself together below: maize terraces still dew-grey, the Coura sliding west towards the Lima, 343 souls distributed among granite houses the colour of week-old snow. The light is not “special”; it is merely the light that lets a farmer sow fava beans without scorching the leaf.
Mortar, memory, granite
The parish church is not baroque; it is simply 18th-century rural Portuguese with delusions. Inside, the gilded retable dates from 1753, ordered by the vicar Manuel de Sousa Pinto when gold from Brazil still paid for salvation. The stone pediment arrived later—1892—funded by migrants who had swapped Minho rain for Rio humidity and sent coins home in sealed envelopes. Blue-and-white azulejos behind the altar are 1947, surplus from a Gaia tileworks where fifteen Mozelenses earned a wage during the difficult years. Opposite the churchyard gate stands the chapel of Nossa Senhora das Dores: one painted wooden altar masquerading as marble, erected after typhoid halved the village in 1876 and survivors bargained with heaven.
First Sunday in September
Dia da Senhora begins with a sung mass at eleven. Four men shoulder the 28-kilogram palanquin of 1842—chestnut poles rubbed smooth by 180 years of devotion—and process down Rua do Calvário, left along the EN 558, then back uphill. The brass band from Cunha strikes up the local hymn, composed in 1953 by José Maria Oliveira, a schoolteacher who knew how to make a cornet weep. In the yard of the primary school (closed 2009) three temporary tavernas compete: the parish improvement association ladles sarrabulho stew thick with pig’s blood and mint; the youth group grills bifanas until the fat spits; Dona Adelaide sells egg-yolk sweets perfected during her novitiate at Tibães monastery in 1962.
Lunch in the Minho
Sarrabulho rice demands January’s blood, caught in a zinc pail during the matança, plus peppery linguiça, salpicão, and farinheira smoked over holly. The wine is loureiro-arinto vinho verde from the Lima sub-region, served in 200-ml glass tumblers at €0.80 in the Bar do Clube—the only pub open year-round, formerly the Casa do Povo reading room. Caldo verde is hand-shredded galician kale, potatoes mashed almost to silk, and olive oil posted every Christmas from Trás-os-Montes by the sacristão’s daughter.
Tracks through maize and oak
A dirt lane leaves the 1905 granite crucifix and reaches Rubiães in 4 km, passing Paredes—two dwellings and a watermill whose wheel lies rusted in the stream. Parallel, the Mozelos brook threads ten meadow plots where cows still stand belly-deep in herbal baths every May. There are no yellow waymarks or Knights Templar boundary stones; only the 1938 granite posts that separate the Lima and Minho watersheds. Carry on to Várzea and you drop 200 m of vertigo across loose schist slabs that skate under winter rain.
The sun slips behind Corno do Bico. At 19:05 the last Viacorteza bus—route 502, Viana to Paredes—swings through the village, 45 minutes to the coast. Left behind are dogs, the tang of eucalyptus smoke, and the church door ajar until nine, when António climbs the tower once more, pulls the rope twice, and locks the sound of Mozelos inside the stone.